Friday, June 08, 2007

I am a Rock

Thank God it’s Friday!

Even though it wasn’t that bad this week, the allure of a weekend of rest and recuperation cannot be denied. In addition to that, the promise of fellowship and games, albeit most likely without an important ingredient, is more reason to shout this phrase at the top of a corporate slave’s lungs. I think I just frightened a colleague of mine who unwittingly passed by my desk. It must be a creepy sight, with me and my bloodshot eyes mumbling to myself to savour these words.

In retrospect, despite the implications with my song choices this whole week, it has been a great week for me. This auspicious beginning of the month bodes a smooth journey ahead since these seven days bore witness to many significant events: the advancement in my career-actualization, my rekindling of treasured friendships, the initiation of surprising new ones, and not forgetting the strengthening of existing brotherhood bonds. Quite a mouthful, huh? Quite a week too. =)

Now that I have finally sat down and think about it, the fantastic week cannot be attributed to the many momentous occurrences, but rather the interaction that I was fortunate enough to have with people across my intimacy scale. I guess it is not a surprise to find me drawn to psychology. As I have told the interviewers, my passion is with people. So, it is ironic for me to find this very week featured an exceptionally higher number of friends who decided to go into a recluse.

Surprisingly, I understand the mindset of each individual who chose this lonely path, and it is not all unjustified. Hey, even a popular guy like me went through phases similar to this often enough to empathise. I just hope those who can relate to this post will one day discover the exhilaration of living, and to venture into new (potentially dangerous) territories of meeting people. Until then, I dedicate this song to all you aspiring hermits out there.

I tried searching my memory for more optimistic lyrical content but most have crap poetry. I can only assume that songwriters have to be high or intoxicated to be able to churn out statements reflecting mortal bliss in songs. Thus, credit should be given to one Midnight Angel - who apparently prefer, if not actively seeks isolation too - for introducing this song to me. As can be seen from the clip, today’s song is a ‘classic’, and is therefore beyond my musical knowledge.

The lyrics are straightforward enough, so none of my usual interpretation commentary is needed this time round. Funnily, this video triggers a homophobe side of me that I never knew existed. Maybe it is because this video depicts the ostensibly normal day of two grown men performing frivolous activities we come to expect only in children… or couples trying to be recapture their lost youth. I have nothing against living it up but please, leave that to the kids.


A winter's day
In a deep and dark December
I am alone
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow
I am a rock
I am an island


I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain
I am a rock
I am an island


Don't talk of love
Well, I've heard the word before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
If I never loved I never would have cried
I am a rock
I am an island


I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armour
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock
I am an island


And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

0 Comments: