Friday, August 31, 2007

The Quinquagenary

It is very uplifting to find so many fellow countrymen bloggers across the globe deferred from their usual depressive and/or hostile perspective on life and dedicated an exclusive entry within their private digital domains, just to commemorate the Golden Anniversary of our Nationhood.

I may not be the most ardent patriot, but considering how those within my circle of influence are professing their love for the nation, is there any doubt I would participate and celebrate such an accomplishment as well? Heck, even the staunchest critics that I had to convince of the wonders of our country are offering congratulations for this milestone. Well, notwithstanding the fact that beautiful women in their best attire flourished the festivity for me, that is. =)

It is equally encouraging to discover the number that had congregated at a ‘lesser known secret hideout’ that offers a full panoramic view of our distinguished Asian capital. Despite the rampant incredulous logic to evoke racism among the people that has plagued our political scene of late, to find a patient crowd of all demographics lingering past the hour mark after the countdown for a mere glimpse of the customary firework display, definitely made a Malaysian proud.

Alas, most turned back disappointed, for even from an elevated height, the more entertaining use of gunpowder could not overcome the buildings we have and rival the stars. (Yes ladies, there WERE fireworks. Sorry about that.) I am not sure that fact alone should invigorate my patriotism or douse it though. Should I be upset that our country did not invest in a definite crowd pleaser to commemorate such an event? Or should I be proud that our nation boasts skyscrapers that could obstruct a soaring exhibition? That is a thought for another day. At the moment, I am just grateful for the pleasant company that night of many firsts.

1 Comment:

Charlo Fay said...

sigh! the few blogs i've religiously visited over the year. :) Anyways, my blog is no longer the previous one. This time its www.charlenefay.blogspot.com
okay okay... i wont change it anymore... :P